Drawing Comic Characters: 6 Fundamental Steps
Take a look at our short video to see what goes into creating a Biowarrior, and then get your pencil or mouse ready, because Biowars is about to take you on a journey to the far reaches of your creative universe.
Step #1: Visualize Before Drawing Your Comic Book Character
Visualize your character’s pose and position if you want to learn how to draw from different perspectives. This will give you an idea of how the same figure and head shot can be drawn from different angles and points of view, which will help you get started learning how to sketch from different perspectives.
Step #2: Start With A Stick Figure
If you’re making a comic book character who defies convention, go ahead and get creative! The average male and female superhero is 7-1/2 heads tall, so whatever size your hero’s head is, make sure their body is roughly 6 inches long.
Step #3: Draw The Head & Face
The character’s expression and personality are determined by the shape of their head. A square, round, or triangular head lends a different feel to the character’s persona. Hair is another important feature that can create a unique, recognizable shape. Draw your character from multiple angles using two basic head shapes.
Step #4: Sketch The Muscle & Bone
The next step is to add a lifelike structure to your stick figure, which is a good time for beginners to study human anatomy. If you’re drawing an alien comic book character, this is your chance to really let your imagination run wild.
Step #5: Fill In The Details
A top-down approach to the designing process works best for many comic book artists; if you’re not great at it right away, don’t obsess over the minor details.
Takeaways On Drawing Comic Book Characters
Define and visualize the proportions, placement, and pose for your comic book character with this step-by-step guide. It will take a lot of effort, error, and painstaking practice, but if you put your mind to it, there will be no stopping you.
How do you make a comic for beginners?
6 Steps to Outlining a Comic Book
- Make a numbered list of your pages.
- Identify the story beats.
- Turn story beats into panels.
- Sketch out action and note dialogue.
- Write your script!
What apps do comic artists use?
If you want to draw comics, you’ll need a special app or software that includes features for creating comics and manga.
- Photoshop CC (Windows/macOS)
- Clip Studio Paint (Windows/macOS/iPad/iPhone/Android)
- Paint Tool SAI (Windows)
- Procreate (iPad)
- Corel Painter 2021 (Windows/macOS)
- Adobe Fresco (iPad/Windows)
- Adobe Photoshop CC (Windows/macOS)
How do you draw characters?
Consider the following tips, exercises, and techniques as you learn how to draw a polished character.
- Use references.
- Be loose.
- Use simple shapes.
- Apply S-curves and C-curves.
- Don’t be afraid to exaggerate.
- Check anatomy with a skeleton sketch.
- Pay attention to the eyes.
What are some good comic ideas?
101 Comic Book Concepts
- Someone moves to a new metropolis/town/hamlet that they are unfamiliar with.
- Thieves steal a valuable antique.
- A mysterious riddle is carved into a statue in the town square.
- Miners discover something while digging.
How do I make an anime comic?
How to Make Your Own Manga or Comic Book in 9 Easy Steps
- Step 1: Decide what kind of story you’re going to tell. Step 2: Write a quick summary of your manga. Step 3: Create character profiles.
How do you name a comic?
What’s In A Name? Choosing An Effective Webcomic Title
- Summarization. A title’s purpose, like that of a book’s cover, is to give the audience a sense of what to expect.
- Avoid Copycat Names.
- Use Mnemonic Devices.
- Search Engine Optimization.
- Pre-Marketing a Title.