How to Draw a Self Portrait
Use a mirror to see what you’re drawing in 3-D. Angle the mirror according to the profile you want to draw. Stand against a background that highlights your features, such as a solid-colored wall. Use a photograph instead of a mirror for easier reference. Drawing from a mirror is more difficult, but it can help advanced artists improve their skills.
Draw a line beneath the measurement where the ruler stops, slightly higher for a female chin. Connect the line you just drew with a line up and angled outward. Repeat these steps on the other side to complete the jawline.
If you’re drawing a self-portrait, start by sketching out the main features, then fill in any details you missed. Add shading and jewelry to make it more realistic, and frame it in a medium that matches the medium you used to draw it.
Can you draw a portrait of yourself?
You don’t need a model to start drawing portraits; simply take a selfie or grab a mirror. Drawing from life is always a good idea, so a mirror will give you a good representation of how you look right now.
How can I draw better faces?
What is the best way to draw a face?
- Start with two circles to form the base of the head.
- Add construction lines to position the features.
- Experiment with different proportions.
- Line up the features.
- Start with the eyes.
- Add in the nose.
- Try different lip shapes.
- Think about the differences between male and female faces.
How can I draw my self?
So, here are a few pointers on how to draw a self-portrait:
- Start with a light sketch.
- Add shadows and smudge them. Add shadows to make your sketch look more professional.
- Do your hairline after you outline.
- Fine details come last.
What apps turn pictures into drawings?
11 Free Apps for Creating Sketches from Photos (Android)
- Make a drawing of me! u2013 Make a drawing of me!
How do you draw a self portrait with a mirror?
Using Mirrors for Self-Portraits
- Set up your mirror at any angle you like, but keep it close to your drawing surface.
- Hold your place – Draw a red dot in between your eyes on the mirror as you look into it, so you can return to your original position if you move.