How To Draw Sunflowers
What if I drew ten different versions of the same sketch, each using a different medium? That way, you can see the differences and see what you can expect from using colored pencils vs. crayons, or oil pastels vs. acrylic paint.
Remember that this is just a sketch, so don’t get too worked up if things don’t turn out as you had hoped. Use dotted lines to mark the center of the next sunflower. This sunflower is facing forward, so the center is a circle. Next, draw a small oval for the flower bud’s tip. Give it a stem and some leaves to make it look like a flower.
Step By Step Acrylic Painting
After sketching the canvas, I chose the colors: blues, greens, white, and yellows. For leaves and stems, I started with a darker green, then added highlights with a lighter green/brown/white. For petals, I started with yellow, then added highlights with a white, and shadows with a reddish brown.
Here is a step by step for the Colored Pencil
Here are all of the different ways I colored it in, remembering that each one is a separate drawing/painting. I used carbon transfer paper to transfer it on and off until it was finished.
I admit, I could have done a better job with the watercolor one; I was just tired of drawing and painting the same picture over and over, so I rushed. Lesson learned: next time, take your time. Ok, I have another confession: I rushed the next four as well. I still think it conveys the idea of how different the same drawing will look if you use different media.
Computer Generated Graphics
Since I completed this project, I’ve learned a few more tricks, and one day I’ll sit down and do a better job with these. I enjoyed making every single one of these, but I do have a favorite among them. This one: Here’s another. This one was done with leftover acrylic paint and cotton swabs. I rather like it.
How do you draw a sunflower field step by step?
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Sunflower
- Step 1: Create a circle.
How do you draw and paint sunflowers?
- For the center of the sunflower, trace a 6u201d circle in the lower left corner of your canvas and paint it burnt umber.
- Draw the petals out with a #8 Round Bush and cadmium yellow hue.
- Paint the bottom of the petals with cadmium yellow hue double loaded with a tiny bit of burnt umber.
Did Van Gogh paint sunflowers?
Sunflowers are among Van Gogh’s most famous paintings, which he created in Arles, France, in 1888 and 1889. Vincent painted five large canvases with sunflowers in a vase, using three shades of yellow ‘and nothing else.’
What are the needs of sunflower?
Sunflowers in the Garden
- Sunflowers are sun worshipers who thrive in locations with six to eight hours of direct sunlight per day. Because sunflowers have long tap roots that need to reach several feet into the ground, they prefer a loose, well-drained, slightly alkaline soil with a pH of 6.0 to 7.5.
How do you draw a realistic sunflower for beginners?
How to Draw a Sunflower, How to Draw a Sunflower, How to Draw a Sunflower, How to Draw a Sunflower
- Begin by gathering your materials.
- Start with a very simple sketch using the carbon pencil.
- Sketch in the center of the flower.
- Sketch in the petals one quadrant at a time.
- Continue inching along.