How to Make a Bar Chart in Microsoft Excel
Horizontal bars are used to compare data values in a bar chart (or a bar graph), which is one of the simplest ways to present your data in Excel. Here’s how to make and format bar charts in Microsoft Excel.
Inserting Bar Charts in Microsoft Excel
Select your data and click Insert > Insert Column or Bar Chart to create a bar chart. You can also create combo charts, which combine bar charts with other chart types to show two types of data together. In this case, we’re comparing the sales data for headphones and mice.
Formatting Bar Charts in Microsoft Excel
You can customize your bar charts by changing the style, axis labels, and color, as well as adding trendlines to your data to see more patterns (trends).
Changing Chart Title Text
To edit or format the title text box above a bar chart, double-click it; to completely remove the chart title, select your chart and click the “Chart Elements” icon on the right; your chart title will be removed once the checkbox is removed.
Adding and Editing Axis Labels
Select your chart and click the green “Chart Elements” icon (the ” ” icon). Enable the “Axis Titles” checkbox from the Chart Elements menu. Double-click the text boxes next to each axis to edit the labels. Removing the checkbox will remove the labels immediately.
Changing Chart Style and Colors
To apply one of the chart themes (styles) available in Microsoft Excel, select your chart and then click the “Chart Styles” icon. You can also change the colors used in your chart by clicking the Chart Styles section under the “Style” section.
Further Bar Chart Formatting Options
You can change the fill, border, and other chart formatting options by right-clicking a chart, and you can also change how text is displayed on your chart by going to the “Text Options” section of the “Format Chart Area” menu.
How do I use Excel to draw a graph?
How to Create an Excel Graph
- Choose one of nine graph and chart options to make.
- Highlight your data and click ‘Insert’ your desired graph.
- Adjust the layout and colors of your data.
- Change the size of your chart’s legend and axis labels.
How do I make a bar graph?
- Collect your data. The first step is to gather all of your information.
- Draw an x and a y-axis. This will resemble a large “L” shape.
- Label the x-axis.
- Label the y-axis.
- Draw your bars.
- Interpret the data.
How do you make a bar graph in Excel with multiple data?
To make a combo chart, first select the data you want to show, then open the Insert Chart dialog box by clicking the dialog launcher in the corner of the Charts group on the Insert tab. Select combo from the All Charts tab, then choose the chart type you want for each data series from the dropdown options.
What is simple bar chart?
Simple bar graphs are a graphical representation of a data set based on a single variable that are commonly used to compare various items/observations/categories based on a single parameter. Bar graphs make it easier to compare things because you can analyze and interpret the data with just a glance.
How do I make a bar graph in Excel 2020?
Select the bar graph option from the ‘Insert’ tab’s section ‘Charts’; there are other graph design options to choose from, but for now, we’ll go with the first one. Excel will draw the graph and insert it into the spreadsheet right away.
How can I make a graph?
Make a graph or a chart.
- Open a spreadsheet in the Google Sheets app on your Android phone or tablet.
- Select the cells you want to include in your chart.
- Tap Insert. Chart.
- Optional: Tap Type, then choose an option.
- Tap Done.
How do you plot a graph?
Follow these easy steps to get started:
- First, find the x-value on the x-axis.
- Next, find the y-value – in this case, y=1100, so find 1100 on the y-axis.
- Your point should be plotted at the intersection of x=0 and y=1100.
What is a segmented bar graph?
A segmented bar graph compares two categories within a data set, with each bar divided into parts (segments) that show the percentage of each part in the second category.
How do you join two graphs together?
Merge Several Graphs
- When the Graph 1 in the Arranging Layers subfolder is active, click the Rescale button.
- Select Graph: Merge Graph Windows from the main menu to open the dialog.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
What is types of graph?
Graphs and Charts of Various Types
- Area Chart.
- Dot Graph or Plot.
- Scatter Plot.
- Bubble Chart.
- Bar Chart/Graph.
- Pie Chart.
- Line Graph or Chart.
- Histogram Chart.