How to Draw Mountains On a Map — MapEffects | Josh Stolarz
How do you draw mountains on fantasy maps? In this tutorial, I’ll show you how I do it using the brushes included in the Map Maker Essential Brushes pack for Procreate.
For the main shape of the mountains, use a jagged step pattern. Try to vary the placement and height of these ridges so they don’t look too similar. This will help your map feel more realistic.
If You’re Struggling…
I believe that art is 90% skill and 10% talent, and that even the most talented person must put in the time and learn the skills before they can be great. If you found this useful, please pin it to save for later and share with friends.
How do you draw a mountain and hill on a map?
On a map, there are four different ways to draw hills.
- Draw hills with simple lines to show the slope.
- Begin with lines that indicate the hill’s edges.
- Add form to the hills with overlay layers.
- Use lines to pick out the form of the hills from a 3/4 perspective.
- Shade your hills and give them form with overlay layers.
What is Wonderdraft?
Wonderdraft is a fantasy map-making program that might be just what you need.
What is map key?
A key or legend is a list of symbols that appear on a map, such as a cross, a cross attached to a circle, a cross attached to a square, or the symbol Sch, which stands for school. Symbols and colors can also represent different things such as roads, rivers, and land height.
How do you draw a mountain for beginners?
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Draw Mountains
- Step 1: Draw the mountain’s outline.
- Step 2: Draw the mountain’s ridges.
- Step 3: Draw the mountain’s ragged outline.
- Step 4: Erase the original outline drawn in Step 1.
- Step 5: Draw small peaks.
- Step 6: Add small shadows along the peaks.
How do you make a mountain?
To make your mountain, start with a sturdy cardboard or wooden square. Next, scrunch up a sheet of newspaper into a ball and tape it together with masking tape. Glue the newspaper balls to the base and form the shape of a mountain. Let the glue dry for 24 hours.