How to Design a Town Map
This isn’t a Photoshop tutorial, nor is it a tutorial for a polished finished map; rather, it’s a step-by-step guide in my own town creation method.
1. Draw the terrain and the major locations
Draw the terrain and major locations for your fantasy town, and use them to guide the placement of the main buildings. The town will want to defend the harbor, so a wall across the end of the peninsula is a natural choice, as is a temple, inn, or wizard’s tower.
2. Place the major roads
Avoid straight roads in fantasy town maps because they don’t have heavy earth moving machinery, so roads must go around obstacles on the whole.
3. Add the minor roads
Draw major roads following the contours of the land, then add a web of smaller roads to fill in the gaps, keeping in mind that the majority of the smaller roads will be used to get people to the major ones. Add kinks and corners to make them more interesting.
4. Draw in the houses
This may take some time, depending on the scale of the map and the level of detail you want to achieve, but once you’ve finished, you’ll have a functional town map. For more information, see the full tutorial on how to make a polished finished map.
How do you draw a good fantasy map?
Create Fantasy Maps of Your Own
- Step 2: Solidify Continent Shapes. Refine the outlines you drew with an eraser.
- Step 3: Mountains.
- Step 4: Rivers, Lakes, and Forests.
- Step 5: Add Cities.
- Step 6: Name Areas and Add Final Details.
- Step 7: Ink Coastline.
- Step 8: Ink Names.
How do you create a fantasy city?
In 47 seconds, learn how to construct a fantasy city.
- Create a map in Ovenstead.
- Choose Government. This city-building recipe is primarily bottom-up.
- Create Districts. Next, divide your city into sections.
- Place Buildings. I would do most location placement during session run-time.
How do I create a city map?
HOW TO MAKE YOUR PERSONAL CITY MAP
- Select “create a new map” at google.com/mymaps.
- Type in the city (or country!)
- Type in the sights you want to see, such as monuments, parks, restaurants, and stores.
What should a fantasy city have?
To accommodate such a reality, a fantasy-based city administration would have to branch out to provide a variety of services. Here are a few possibilities:
- Brick factories.
- Wood mills.
- Leather tanneries.
- Pulp mills.
- Earthenware makers.
- Flour mills.
How big should a fantasy city be?
Between 5,000 and 20,000 people live in a town. Between 20,000 and 200,000 people live in a city. Between 200,000 and 1,100,000 people live in a big city. Between 1,000,000 and 9,000,000 people live in a metropolis.
What is Wonderdraft?
Wonderdraft is a fantasy map-making program that might be just what you need.
How do I create a custom map?
How to Use Google Maps to Make Custom Maps
- Select the maps tab to open a new tab with a map that you can customize in one of two ways: by manually drawing points and shapes or by importing a spreadsheet.
- Customize your map by drawing.
- If prompted, give your point a title and a description.
How do I make custom map art?
Customize Your Own Map Art
- SELECT ANY LOCATION. Use the search tool to find a location anywhere in the world
- you can also adjust your map with the zoom function.
- CUSTOMISE YOUR DESIGN. Choose from over 50 stunning color schemes or create your own.
Can you build your own town?
You’ll need a lawyer to incorporate a town, and once you’ve decided where you want to put it, the first step toward You -ville is to get a petition signed by some of the residents. In some places, however, a town charter must be granted by a vote of the state legislature.