How to draw a face from the side – 10 steps
Tools: HB Derwent pencil. A straight edge or ruler (optional). Apologies in advance if the image quality isn’t up to par. I recently returned to Canada after a one-year trip to Japan.
Step 1: Start with an Oval
1. Draw an oval and a horizontal line a little less than one level beneath it.
Step 2: Draw a Ruler
Draw a face from the side and divide it into eight equal spaces, making sure the spaces are as equal as possible! You can draw these lines without using the ruler on the side, but I recommend doing so at least the first two or three times.
Step 3: Add the Ear
Between lines C and 2, draw an ear on the left side of the head. For a detailed tutorial on how to draw ears, click here.
Step 4: Face Outline
Begin at the top of the jaw and work your way down the front of the face, finishing with the ear to the chin.
Step 6: Define Brow Bone
Draw a shallow ‘c’ shape where the Center Line and Face Line intersect, starting at the center of the forehead and working your way up to the brow bone.
Step 7: Draw the Nose
To learn how to draw a nose from the side, click here. Draw two small circles: one on the face line between lines 1 and 2 and another to the right of that.
Step 8: Lips and Chin
Steps 1-3: Draw the top lip, bottom lip, and mouth, then finish with the jaw and chin, which don’t have to follow the underlayer created in step 4.
Step 9: Eye and Eyebrow
Draw a line from the ‘G’ marking all the way up through the head, and a triangle between lines G and H on the Center Line to draw an eye. Click here for a detailed tutorial on how to draw an eye from the side.
Step 10: Back of the Head, Neck and Hair
Draw the top and back of the head by following the oval and plunging all the way down; draw a regular hairline on the forehead between lines A and B or a receding hairline above line A; and you’re done!
How do I get a better side profile?
How to Take Better Side Portraits
- Find your subject’s best side.
- Carefully compose your shot.
- Dress up your subject.
- Experiment with different poses and expressions.
- Shoot from various angles.
How do you draw anime 3/4 heads?
How to Draw a 3/4 View of an Anime Female Face
- Step 1 u2013 Draw the Top of the Head.
- Step 2 u2013 Draw the Face’s Center Line.
- Step 3 u2013 Draw the Bottom of the Face.
- Step 4 u2013 Draw the Facial Features.
- Step 5 u2013 Draw the Hair.
- Step 6 u2013 Cleaned Up Line Drawing.
- Step 7 u2013 Apply Color.
- Step 8 u2013 Apply Shading.