How to Paint a Starry Night Sky
Today’s tutorial will teach you how to paint a night sky. Prepare the workspace with a drop cloth and sponges before you begin; this tutorial can be messy, so it’s a good idea to prepare ahead of time.
Titanium White, Mars Black, Quinacridone Magenta, Phthalocynnie Blue, and Dioxazine Purple are some of the colors I use, but any version of the following colors will work: Titanium White, Mars Black, Quinacridone Magenta, Phthalocynnie Blue, and Dioxazine Purple.
Step 1: Prep your canvas
Mix blue and white gesso to make an opaque light blue, then cover your canvas completely and let it dry. NOTE: I prefer to mix my blue with white gesso for this step because I prefer the smoother texture it produces.
Step 2: Prep your sponges and palette
I like to use a large enough palette so that I have enough room to mix colors while still keeping the main colors clean. Squeeze any excess water out with your cloth.
How do you draw a starry sky?
What is the Best Way to Draw a Night Sky?
- Step 2: Adding Color to the Sky. Begin glazing color into the sky with black and dark blue.
- Step 3: Darken the Values.
- Step 4: Finishing Touches.
- Step 1: Establish the Foreground. Outline anything that shows against the sky.
How do you paint realistic night sky?
Start painting a gradient from dark to light to represent the sunset using A112, A125, A116, A120, A115, A114, A140, A101 on the palette. Begin with A125, then gradually add A116 and blend it with A101 using quick, light brushstrokes.
How do you paint the night sky in Photoshop?
In Photoshop, learn how to make stars.
- Step 1: Create a new blank layer above the image.
- Step 2: Fill the layer with black.
- Step 3: Use the Add Noise Filter to add noise.
- Step 4: Use the Gaussian Blur filter to blur the noise.
- Step 5: Use the Levels image adjustment to turn the noise into stars.
Who draw the starry night?
One of Dutch artist Vincent van Gogh’s most famous works is The Starry Night, a moderately abstract landscape painting (1889) of an expressive night sky over a small hillside village.