Learn how to draw a face in 8 easy steps: Beginners
Many RFA readers have requested a step-by-step tutorial on how to draw a basic male face; the proportions are different for females. Click here for more face drawing tutorials. Part 1 of 3: How to draw male faces (front view). Part 2: Drawing male faces from side view and 3/4 view.
Step 1: Start with a circle
Draw a symmetrical human face with a large circle for the forehead and a horizontal line for the eyes, followed by a vertical line down the center of the eye for the iris, nose, and cheeks.
Step 2: Draw guidelines on the face
Draw faint lines through the face on the markings labelled CENTER LINE, 2, 3, A, and C. This is the method I use all the time to draw heads. Super SIMPLE Method:
Step 3: Draw eyes in the right spot
Mark the center line on the face with four ticks spaced evenly apart; the eyes will sit roughly on this line. Don’t be afraid to move slightly above or below the line, as eyes are usually slanted. For more mysterious manly eyes, click here.
Step 4: Draw a proportionate nose
Start with a box and then extend the two lines where the inner corners of each eye are located. Click here to see my nose tutorial.
Step 5: Add the eyebrows
Draw the eyebrows along the brow bone with a 4B pencil; thick bushy eyebrows can accentuate masculinity. Click here for an in-depth tutorial on how to draw eyebrows.
Step 6: Use a triangle shape to draw lips
If you haven’t already done so, draw a line down the center of each eye to mark the lips’ outer boundary. If you haven’t already done so, start by placing your triangle in the small box under the nose and extending it until the tip touches the nose.
Step 7: Add the ears
The Center Line and Line 2 define the general boundaries of each ear, as well as the top and bottom of the nose and the middle of the ear, when drawing from the front.
Step 8: Draw the hair
If you want to learn how to shade faces, click here. Draw the upper hairline somewhere between lines A and B. It’s up to you how big you want the forehead to be. You can use a kneaded eraser to clean up any dark spots or tight spaces.
Experiment with Drawing Different Types of Faces
Learn how to draw heads using the basic guidelines, then experiment with different eye shapes, eyebrow angles, nose lengths/widths, and so on. Grab a piece of paper and draw as many faces as you can! Darlene founded RFA. in 2013 with the goal of sharing simple yet detailed drawing tutorials with other artists.
How do you draw a realistic face?
Basic line and shading techniques are all that is required to draw a realistic face.
- Step 1: Outline the Face.
- Step 2: Add the Ears and Hairline.
- Step 3: Mark Guidelines and Begin Drawing the Eyes.
- Step 4: Finish the Nose.
- Step 5: Finish the Skin Shading.
- Step 7: Add Hair to Your Face Drawing.
How do you draw a realistic face for kids?
- Draw a large half circle.
- Continue sides with straight lines.
- Finish with the curved chin.
- Draw two eyes and brows.
- Add a nose half way down.
- Add a mouth half way to chin.
- Add the ears and neck.
How do you draw a realistic girl face?
Finally, draw a faint line vertically down the middle of the face with a ruler.
- Step 2: Draw Face Guidelines. Measure the length of the face and use a straight edge to draw a ruler to the side of your drawing.
- Step 3: Draw the Eyes.
- Step 4: Nose.
- Step 5: Eyebrows.
- Step 6: Lips.
- Step 7: Ears.
- Step 8: Hair.
How can I draw better faces?
What is the best way to draw a face?
- Start with two circles to form the base of the head.
- Add construction lines to position the features.
- Experiment with different proportions.
- Line up the features.
- Start with the eyes.
- Add in the nose.
- Try different lip shapes.
- Think about the differences between male and female faces.
How do you draw a simple face girl?
Let’s get started learning how to draw a girl’s face.
- Step 2 u2014 Draw the Ears.
- Step 3 u2014 Add Hair to the Face.
- Step 4 u2014 Next, Draw the Eyes.
- Step 5 u2014 Then, Draw the Nose.
- Step 6 u2014 Draw a Bright Smile on the Face.
- Step 7 u2014 Next, Add an Eyebrow.
- Step 8 u2014 Add a Blush to the Cheeks.
How do you draw a boy easily?
- Draw a large U shape on top.
- Add a cap of hair on top.
- Draw the face and hair details.
- Continue with the neck and shirt.
- Add shorts below.
- Draw legs and feet under the shorts.
- Add simple arms.