How to Draw Cactus
One of my favorite things to draw is a simple saguaro cactus in a desert landscape; the basic shapes are simple for artists of all ages, and they really pop when you change the VALUE (another Element of Art) of the edges by making them darker.
Beginning with the main cactus trunk, add the two arms on the sides, rib lines in the center, and lots of rib lines on the right and left arms. Trace with a marker and color for each cactus.
How do you draw a real cactus?
- Step 1: Draw a tube for the cactus plant by first drawing a line in the shape of a tube and then adding three buds on the side.
- Step 2: Add a curve to the cactus bud by first drawing a line in the shape of a tube and then giving the bud a curved shape.
- Step 3: Draw texture to the cactus stem.
- Step 4: Add shading to the cactus stem and buds.
How do you draw a cactus blossom?
Step 1: Draw the flower’s center, which should be an oval shaped spot. Step 2: Next, draw the flower, which should be flat rounded petals drawn around the center and then a swoop below the petals to complete the bottom of the flower. Step 3: Finally, draw the cactus leaves, which should be multiple rounded squares drawn around the center.
How do you shade a cactus?
Shade the center cactus with short lines between the rows of spines, being careful not to shade over the spines, and then shade around the spines with more short lines to give it a rounded look. Shade the left-hand cactus and its leaves with short lines.
How do you draw ideas?
Ideas for Drawing: Imagination
- Create an alternate cover for your favorite book or album.
- Illustrate a scene from your favorite song.
- Draw a scene or character from your favorite book.
- Illustrate your favorite fairy-tale.
- Invent your own insects.
How do you draw a cactus for kids?
- Draw the main cactus trunk.
- Add the two arms on the sides.
- Draw rib lines in the center.
- Add lots of rib lines on the right arm.
- Add lots of rib lines on the left arm.
- Add a horizon line and rocks.
- Add smaller cacti and a sun.
What is cactus soil?
Mix three parts potting soil, three parts coarse sand or gravel, and two parts perlite or pumice together to make cactus soil that has the right ratio of inorganic materials (perlite, pumice, sand, and gravel) and a small amount of organic material (peat moss or coco coir).
How do you draw a saguaro cactus flower?
Drawing a Saguaro Cactus
- Mark the width and height of the saguaro cactus.
- Outline the shape of the main part.
- Show the direction of the cactus’ arms with smooth lines.
- Draw the front arms first.
- Outline the shapes of the back arms.
- Mark the places where the arms and trunk connect and draw the plant’s bottom.