How to Draw Mountains: Easy Step by Step Tutorial
Learning how to draw mountains is a great way to practice incorporating light and shadow into your drawings while also having fun with the process. Here is a simple step-by-step tutorial for beginners on how to sketch mountains.
Step 1: Draw the outline of your mountain
Because this is just a guideline that will be erased later, draw this outline lightly. For this mountain, I created two peaks: one black and one white.
Step 2: Draw the ridges of the mountains
One of the simplest ways to draw the profile lines for Mount Kilimanjaro’s mountain peaks is to imagine a pyramid and then make the line more raggedy, zigzagging a bit, and creating points along the line.
Step 3: Draw the ragged outline of the mountain
Step 2 – Using the line we drew in Step 1 as a guide, draw the ragged outline of the mountain; instead of pointing up or down, I prefer to make gradual points all along the mountain and draw a straight line from one point to the next.
Step 6: Add little shadows along the peaks
The tops of these small peaks will receive more light, and the sun’s shadow will cast its shadow on the landscape behind them.
Step 7: Create the shadowed side of the mountain
Let’s look at how to make your mountain drawing more realistic using Adobe Illustrator. Darken the side of the mountain facing away from your light source; the areas near the ridge will be darker than the areas farther away from the ridge.
Step 10: Go back and erase near the main ridge line to add highlight
Erase along the side of the mountain where the light hits it (not the shadowed side) to complete our Mount Kilimanjaro drawing.
More Easy Mountain Drawing Ideas
I hope this step-by-step tutorial made drawing mountains easier for you, and since there are so many different types of mountains to draw, here are some more mountain drawing ideas for you to try: How to Draw a Rose Step by Step and 40 Easy Drawing Ideas for Beginners.
How do you draw a mountain tutorial?
With These Simple Tricks, Drawing Mountains Can Be a Peak Experience
- Determine the Horizon Line. First, draw the outline of a mountain range above the horizon line on your page.
- Divide Each Peak into Two Major Plains.
- Determine Distance and Textures.
- Sketch in Graphite.
- Add the Details.
How do you draw a simple hill?
On a map, there are four different ways to draw hills.
- Draw hills with simple lines to show the slope.
- Begin with lines that indicate the hill’s edges.
- Add form to the hills with overlay layers.
- Use lines to pick out the form of the hills from a 3/4 perspective.
- Shade your hills and give them form with overlay layers.
How do you draw a simple landscape step by step?
How to Draw a Landscape for Beginners
- Step 1: Draw the Basic Shapes.
- Step 2: Add the Window, Door, and Roof Lines.
- Step 3: Add Details to the Building and Tree.
- Step 4: Add Definition to the Trees, Foliage, and Sheep.
- Step 5: Refine the Sheep and Trees.
How do you draw a boy?
- Draw a large U shape on top.
- Add a cap of hair on top.
- Draw the face and hair details.
- Continue with the neck and shirt.
- Add shorts below.
- Draw legs and feet under the shorts.
- Add simple arms.
How do you make a 2D background in Photoshop?
In Photoshop, learn how to create a 2D game background.
- Create a new document.
- Make a base shape.
- Use the Texturizer Filter to apply texture.
- Add layer styles for more detail.
- Draw shapes with the pen tool.
- Use custom brushes.