How to Draw an Owl Step by Step
Start with a pencil and make light and thin lines that you can easily erase. This easy step-by-step tutorial shows how to draw a cartoon owl. It includes simple drawing instructions and illustrated examples for each step. It’s good for anyone looking for some very basic drawing practice or to just draw something for fun.
Step 2 – Draw the Wings
Now add the wings, which should extend from the bottom of the head to almost the bottom of the body, curving slightly around the body and “hugging” it.
Step 3 – Draw the Feet
Begin with the body outline, then add the feet to the top and bottom of the body as small sausage-like shapes, with the middle toe being the largest and the side toes being the smallest.
Step 5 – Draw the Beak
Draw the beak in the middle of the head; owls’ beaks are generally small and narrow in comparison to their heads; the overall shape of a beak should be similar to an oval, but it will be split between its top and bottom portions.
Step 6 – Draw the Face Pattern
After that, draw a line from the inside of the ear to the tip of each “horn.”
Step 7 – Draw the Eyes
Draw a pair of large round owl eyes, with a small oval shaped highlight inside each eye, overlapping about halfway into each pupil. Erase the parts of the pupils covered by the highlights after you’ve finished drawing them, then repeat the process for the other eye.
Step 8 – Finish the Line Drawing
Draw an oval like shape on the owl’s chest/stomach area and fill in the pupils of the eyes with black to finish the line drawing of the owl. These inner patterns will be used to help color it in the next step.
Step 9 – Color the Owl
You can color an owl with paints or colored pencils; the main color for the body will be light brown, but you can use other colors for the eyes, feet, and beak, such as grey or orange.
Drawing a stylized cartoon owl is simple and can be useful basic drawing practice for beginners, or it can simply be something you draw for fun. See also: Draw Ollie the Owl – How to Draw A Stylized Owl for more similar tutorials.
How do you draw a owl step by step?
- Draw a large U-shaped body.
- Add two simple ears and wings.
- Draw a nose and cheek lines.
- Add two large circle eyes.
- Add smaller circles inside.
- Draw lines on the wings.
- Add scallop feather lines.
What Colours are owls?
Owls range in color from white to a variety of shades of tan, gray, brown, or rufous (reddish) brown to deep brown; a few are solidly colored, but the majority are cryptically patterned with streaks, bars, or spots, making them almost invisible against tree bark.
How do you draw an owl in 2 easy steps?
How to Make an Owl Drawing
- Draw a gently curving line from left to right across the top of your paper.
- Draw two large circles in the center of the curved line for the owl’s eyes.
- Draw a gently curving line for the body, kind of like a U-shape that tapers at the top.
- Draw a pair of feet and two curved lines for wings.
What would eat a owl?
What kind of animal eats owls?
- Although owls keep a close eye on their young, they aren’t always able to keep them safe, especially since they must leave their owlets to hunt.
- Birds of Prey.
How do you make an owl face?
- Draw the nose.
- Add the symmetrical brow shapes.
- Connect the top and draw two cheeks.
- Add smaller curves inside.
- Draw smaller circles inside.
- Add two smaller circles with spots inside.
Do owls eat snakes?
Owls are opportunistic hunters who will eat anything they can find, including snakes, but no owl feeds exclusively on snakes. Their primary prey varies depending on the size and species of owl, with small owls like the Screech owl preferring insects and Barn Owls preferring rodents.