How to draw a female face in 8 steps
This tutorial is based on my original method with a few minor tweaks, which I’ll explain as we go. Remember to use an HB pencil with light pressure for all steps so you can easily erase your guidelines at the end.
How to Draw a Female Face Step 1: Face Shape
I’m going to stick with a smooth, tapered jawline for this example because females have shorter chins than male counterparts, so a long chin can display a more masculine look.
Step 2: Draw Face Guidelines
To see the SIMPLE version of this tutorial, click here. Measure the length of the face and draw a ruler to the side of your drawing. Label each of the ticks as shown on the left. Draw faint lines on the face through the ticks labeled: CENTER LINE, 2, 3, A, and C.
Step 3: Draw the Eyes
Draw four ticks on the CENTER LINE to divide the face into five equal horizontal spaces. When drawing the eyes, remember that females have wider, more open eyes than males. Click here for a super detailed tutorial video on how to draw a pair of realistic eyes.
Step 4: Nose
To draw the nose, extend the two lines at the inner corner of each eye all the way to Line 3. This will serve as a guideline for the width of the nose.
Step 5: Eyebrows
If you want to learn how to draw realistic eyebrows, click here, or visit our How To Draw A Real Eyebrows page for more information.
Step 6: Lips
Draw a line from the center of each iris to Line 3, which will serve as the mouth’s boundary. After you’ve drawn the lips, you might want to lengthen or shorten the chin to make it more proportional to the rest of the face.
Step 8: Hair
Remember to give the hair some volume by leaving lots of space between the head and the hair when drawing hair on females; if you want to learn how to shade a face, go to this page. This tutorial is only focused on structure and proportions; if you want to learn how to shade a face, go to this page.
Time to Experiment!
Part 3: Drawing Faces from the 3/4 View. Part 1: Drawing Male/Female Faces from the Front View. Darlene founded RapidFireArt in 2013 with the goal of sharing simple yet comprehensive drawing tutorials with other artists.
How do you draw a realistic girl face?
Drawing a Realistic Girl’s Face (Method 1 of 2)
- To make the head, draw an oval and divide it into three sections.
- Draw the eyes on the top horizontal line.
- Add pupils and eyelashes to the eyes.
- Draw an arched eyebrow above each eye.
- Draw the nose tip along the bottom horizontal line.
How do you start drawing a realistic face?
Basic line and shading techniques are all that is required to draw a realistic face.
- Step 1: Outline the Face.
- Step 2: Add the Ears and Hairline.
- Step 3: Mark Guidelines and Begin Drawing the Eyes.
- Step 4: Finish the Nose.
- Step 5: Finish the Skin Shading.
- Step 7: Add Hair to Your Face Drawing.
How do you draw a woman’s face step by step?
Let’s get started learning how to draw a girl’s face.
- Step 2 u2014 Draw the Ears.
- Step 3 u2014 Add Hair to the Face.
- Step 4 u2014 Next, Draw the Eyes.
- Step 5 u2014 Then, Draw the Nose.
- Step 6 u2014 Draw a Bright Smile on the Face.
- Step 7 u2014 Next, Add an Eyebrow.
- Step 8 u2014 Add a Blush to the Cheeks.
Where do I start when drawing a face?
Here are some portrait drawing tips:
- Start with the eyes and work your way down to the nose and mouth.
- Allow the darkness of the hair to aid in the creation of the lighter edge of the face.