How to Draw a Bird Step by Step Side View
The bird used as an example is a robin, which is a typical example of a real-life bird. This tutorial explains how to draw a bird from the side view in six illustrated steps, with a focus on line drawing and may be especially helpful for beginner artists.
Step 1 – Establish the Main Proportions of the Bird
Begin by estimating the overall proportions and shape of the bird’s head and body, with the largest and most important shapes coming first: the head will resemble an egg, and the body will have a larger curve at the bottom with a flatter back.
Step 2 – Outline the Wing & Tail
Draw the rough shape of the wing and tail onto the sketch of the bird’s body; the wing will have a rounded base and cone-like shape when folded, and the tail will be a little wider as it gets away from the body, with a rounded tip.
Step 3 – Draw the Beak & Feet
Draw a pointy beak with an inner shape that “cuts” into the head. The legs will have some tiny feathers around them that go down to the joints; draw these areas thicker than the rest of the leg as angled letter “U” like shapes.
Step 4 – Draw the Eye & Other Smaller Details
Draw the eye and other small details of the claws on the feet, then add the claws growing from the upper/front part of the toes with two curved lines for each claw. A larger drawing of the birds’ head is shown above to help you see the details.
Step 5 – Establish the Feather Patterns
Create some construction lines to define the different sets of feathers after you’ve drawn out all of the body parts; in this case, you only need two lines on the body and three on the wing.
Step 6 – Add the Feathers & Finish the Bird Drawing
Draw the various sets of feathers in the various sections of the body, erasing the construction lines for each group of feathers as you finish it; if you’re confident in your tracing ability, you can even do it with a thin black marker or pencil.
This is a fairly simple tutorial that can assist you in creating a nice and detailed drawing of a bird, as well as teaching you how to draw properly by working from the larger proportions down to the details if you are a beginner. For more advanced bird drawing tutorials, see:.
How do you draw a simple bird?
- Make guidelines. Draw the middle bird with the belly centered on the line.
- Draw the larger bird below.
- Draw the top bird with the head centered on the middle line.
- Add the legs in between each.
- Add the eyes and beaks.
- Add wings on each bird.
How do you draw a cute bird?
- Draw a tail.
- Start a scarf (with curved lines! )
- Add wing and scarf ends.
- Start the rim of the hat.
- Finish the hat. Add a large eye.
- Erase lines inside the hat. Add beak and feet.
How do you draw a boy?
- Draw a large U shape on top.
- Add a cap of hair on top.
- Draw the face and hair details.
- Continue with the neck and shirt.
- Add shorts below.
- Draw legs and feet under the shorts.
- Add simple arms.
How do you draw a cute sparrow?
If the kids enjoy it, have them try the steps below!
- Draw the eyes and mouth first, then some curves to get the head and face outlines.
- Draw one of the sparrow’s wings on the lower left of the head.
- Draw the body outline from the bottom right.
- Draw its tail and draw a curve on it.