How to make a timeline in Word
Microsoft Word allows users to create a basic timeline that they can customize manually, but it lacks the flexibility needed to create more impressive visuals. In the following sections, I’ll show you how to create a timeline both manually and automatically in Word and PowerPoint.
1. Create a basic timeline
Change the page orientation of a Word document from Portrait to Landscape to make room for more items on the timeline. I recommend using the Basic Timeline for a simple timeline that shows the project’s main milestones.
2.Enter your data
After Word has generated your basic timeline, open the Text Pane by clicking on one of the two areas bordered in the image below. You can use Shift Enter to insert a line break to show a milestone’s date below or above its description.
3. Customize your timeline
After you’ve created a basic timeline, you can change its primary color theme or select a different style from the SmartArt Styles section to customize its overall appearance. To customize individual items on the timeline, use the formatting options available in the small window that appears when you right-click on the specific element.
How to make a timeline in PowerPoint automatically
I’ll show you how to use a simple add-in for PowerPoint called Office Timeline to automatically create and update your graphic for client meetings or executive reviews. To get started, you’ll need to install Office Timeline Basic.
1. Open PowerPoint and enter your data into the Office Timeline Wizard
Choose from a variety of styles and templates for your timeline by clicking New on the Office Timeline Basic tab on the PowerPoint ribbon. This is a good place to start making a few quick customizations, such as changing the color or shape of each item.
Is there a timeline template in Word?
Click the Create New button on the Home tab, then Browse Templates, then search for “timeline” and select the Project with Gantt Timeline template. Rename the template and save it wherever you want.
How do I create a history timeline?
Draw a line through history.
- Make a list of events you’d like to include on your timeline.
- Research and note the specific dates when the events you’d like to include happened.
What is the best way to draw a timeline?
Making a Timeline: Some Pointers
- What does your timeline depict? Every timeline should have a title that identifies the project or historic events it depicts.
- Create the timeline. Decide what period of time you want to depict.
- Determine the timeline’s scale.
- Missing time.
- Add events.
- Add visuals.
Where can I create a timeline?
Start with one of our timeline templates, then search thousands of images and icons to add to your design. Finally, choose a look and feel from a set of professional designs, and save your timeline to print, share, or import into another project.
How do you make a timeline for a book?
Seven questions to consider when making a timeline:
- What are your main characters’ story goals?
- Who are their co-stars?
- How old are your characters when the story begins?
- Where are the characters in the story?
- Why does the story start?
- How old are your characters when the story ends?
- Where will it end?
How do you make a creative timeline?
Follow these six steps to create a timeline infographic:
- Create a timeline outline. Choose a layout for your infographic. Create the framework for your timeline. Add dates, text, and images to your timeline infographic.
- Add colors, fonts, and decorative shapes to your timeline infographic.
How do you present a timeline of events?
Draw a single horizontal timeline with start and end dates and clearly marked time intervals. Choose the most important project elements for your audience and place them along the timeline. If there are any priority risks or issues, place them along the timeline as well.
How do I make a timeline chart?
Make a timetable.
- Click SmartArt in the Illustrations group on the Insert tab.
- Click Process in the Choose a SmartArt Graphic gallery, and then double-click a timeline layout (such as Basic Timeline).
- To enter your text, do one of the following: Click [Text] in the Text pane, and then type your text.
What is a creative timeline?
Creative timelines are one of my favorite examples of useful visualizations because they not only convey a lot of information in a simple way, but they also give it context by displaying it sequentially alongside other related events. Timelines can go back in time or forward in time.
Which tool is used to build interactive timelines?
SmartDraw is primarily used by businesses and educators to create timelines that provide a broad overview of a sequence of events in time. It allows users to embed links to events, information, and images within their timelines.