How to draw a face from the side – 10 steps
Tools: HB Derwent pencil. A straight edge or ruler (optional). Apologies in advance if the image quality isn’t up to par. I recently returned to Canada after a one-year trip to Japan.
Step 1: Start with an Oval
1. Draw an oval and a horizontal line a little less than one level beneath it.
Step 2: Draw a Ruler
Draw a face from the side and divide it into eight equal spaces, making sure the spaces are as equal as possible! You can draw these lines without using the ruler on the side, but I recommend doing so at least the first two or three times.
Step 3: Add the Ear
Between lines C and 2, draw an ear on the left side of the head. For a detailed tutorial on how to draw ears, click here.
Step 4: Face Outline
Begin at the top of the jaw and work your way down the front of the face, finishing with the ear to the chin.
Step 6: Define Brow Bone
Draw a shallow ‘c’ shape where the Center Line and Face Line intersect, starting at the center of the forehead and working your way up to the brow bone.
Step 7: Draw the Nose
To learn how to draw a nose from the side, click here. Draw two small circles: one on the face line between lines 1 and 2 and another to the right of that.
Where do I start when drawing a face?
Here are some portrait drawing tips:
- Start with the eyes and work your way down to the nose and mouth.
- Allow the darkness of the hair to aid in the creation of the lighter edge of the face.
How do you draw a female face?
Let’s get started learning how to draw a girl’s face.
- Step 2 u2014 Draw the Ears.
- Step 3 u2014 Add Hair to the Face.
- Step 4 u2014 Next, Draw the Eyes.
- Step 5 u2014 Then, Draw the Nose.
- Step 6 u2014 Draw a Bright Smile on the Face.
- Step 7 u2014 Next, Add an Eyebrow.
- Step 8 u2014 Add a Blush to the Cheeks.